Thursday, October 23, 2008

What David Sedaris Thinks....

David Sedaris, an American Humorist writer, is currently on a book tour for his newest work entitled "When You're Engulfed in Flames." He made a stop in Philadelphia and I was, not only fortunate enough to go see the show, but was also able to meet with him afterward to sign my book and have a little chat. I took this opportunity to talk to him about this project I'm working on and to ask him how he would define beauty. This was his response:

"Well... when I'm in Scotland, there's just this feeling that I get when I look at the landscape; it's just so beautiful, something inside me is stirred with emotion when I look at it.

And a little while back I was helping out with this fundraiser for the Obama campaign, and I was working with this girl, who was very beautiful, and I couldn't help but stare. Not in a perverted way, I just had that same feeling that I get when I look at the Scottish landscape. But I think sometimes people take it the wrong way when you're captivated by their beauty; it wasn't like I was turning around and jerking off, there was just something about her... her essence was a thing of beauty and it stirred those same emotions within me as with the landscape.

And then there was this other time.... I was on a date with this guy and he was the type of guy who is, you know, obviously good looking. But I didn't want him to know that; and then he went and made this comment, he says 'yeah, I know that I'm nice to look at'...or something along those lines, and it just sort of took away from it, it wasn't true beauty or it just wasn't the same thing, the same kind of feeling, ya know?

It's kind of like...well, it's kind of like calling yourself a maverick."

No comments: